1. Make a list of all your gifts for purchase during the holiday season.
2. Make a budget for all your gifts for purchase during the holiday season.
3. Compare brick and mortar stores to on-line retailers and watch for sales and use-of-coupon opportunities. If you go the on-line route, calculate shipping in and compare “out the door” or “to your doorstep” pricing.
4. Search the internet for coupon codes.
5. Make sure when using coupons that the deal is actually a deal – not marketing.
6. When shopping, plan ahead and don’t make other purchases. Stick to what you planned and don’t even buy that if the deal is not what you expect (or better).
7. Negotiate on everything. Think outside-of-the-box. Sometimes you can get retailers to throw in something additional when you make a purchase.
8. Look to give smaller gifts (like magazine subscriptions) that impact an area of interest for someone and have a benefit all year long. These cost less and save you money and give a gift that keeps on giving all year long.
9. HERE IS THE SAVINGS: When you use coupons, coupon codes, comparing or other means to save a percentage off of what you would have spent, PUT THAT MONEY in actual savings. If you don’t, you are saving NOTHING.
MAKE MORE THAN MONEY COUNT
In this country we don’t do enough to teach our children about money, managing money, saving regularly (and automatically), compound interest and steady investing for a long-term future. As a parent, we are always concerned that they get a good education and go to a good college so they can make a lot of money or have a valued career path. The truth is that we could do our children the biggest favor and one of the best things by sharing with them sound saving and investing principles.
You can join our free Facebook group (or have your children do it, too) by searching in the Facebook bar on your “wall” for “Live The Lifestyle Your Family Deserves.” Click on “become a fan.” It’s free and it ties our free blogs into that group.
If you want to give your children the same information we are giving ours, you can purchase the only thing we sell on any of our blogs or groups. It’s called “How To Survive Any Financial Crisis” and you can get it for only $4.95 at http://www.middleclassmoney.com.
Thank you for reading our blog and good luck!